Charles Town Police Department


Charles Town Police Department holds testing several times a year and posts the announcement for testing on this website, on the CTPD Facebook page, and in the local newspaper. 

You can obtain an application by clicking on this link: Police Application or in person at the Charles Town Police Department, located at 661 South George Street, Suite 100, Charles Town, WV. 

To be placed on the list of eligible applicants, an interested applicant must:

  • On the date of testing, successfully meet the requirements on a physical agility screening test as set forth by the West Virginia State Police Academy. A physician's certification will be required prior to participating in any physical testing and must be presented on the day of testing.
  • Achieve a passing score on a competitive written exam.

To be further considered for the position, an applicant must:

  • Possess a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
  • Be over the age of 18 years old.
  • Have a valid driver's license.
  • Submit to and cooperate in a background investigation as to the applicant's suitability for the position.
  • Submit to a polygraph examination.
  • Appear for scheduled oral interviews.
  • Undergo a complete psychiatric examination testing the applicant's mental stability for appointment.
  • Undergo a complete medical examination and drug testing.
  • Submit to any additional examinations as to the applicant's suitability for the position in a manner prescribed by the Commission.

The salary for this position is $54,323 for a WV certified police officer and $52,998 for an uncertified individual. Benefits include health, vison and dental insurance; state retirement plan (MPFRS); participation in the West Virginia Deferred Compensation 457 plan; active employees contribute 8.5% of his or her gross monthly salary, and the employer currently contributes 8.5% of the employee's gross monthly salary for a total current combined contribution equal to 17%; merit-based pay scale, including approved COLA adjustment; clothing allowance; four 10-hour work schedule; tuition reimbursement program; longevity pay; night/evening shift differential; holiday, vacation, and sick leave compensation; and access to a fitness center. All uniforms and equipment are provided including a take-home vehicle.

Promotional opportunities can occur after two years in grade. Relaxed facial hair and tattoo policy.

(All Sign on bonus' will be paid to the Probationary Police Officer quarterly throughout the I-year Probationary Period.)

  • Current West Virginia Law Enforcement Certification upon hire are eligible to receive a $10,000 sign-on bonus.
  • Current out-of-state Law Enforcement Certification upon hire are eligible to receive a $5,000 sign on bonus.
  • Non- Certified Applicants upon hire are eligible to receive a $2,500 sign on bonus.

Anyone not meeting the above requirements, as set by the Commission, will not be eligible.

The City of Charles Town is an equal opportunity employer.